Anxiety Health Medication Mental health

10th December 2004.

I remember this date very well. It was the date I finnally agreed to go to the doctors after being sick for over a week. It was the day the doctor contacted the hospital and I needed to go straight there. My parents gave me the option of telling my sister aged 9 who was at her school disco and I said no, my other sister was only 3 going through cancer. I remember asking her if cannulas hurt as she had had so many. It was the day I had my burst appendix removed. I was so scared, and In so much pain, but no one would believe me even though I was throwing up bile all the time. My mum still said to me just before the opperateion, if your not telling the truth you need to say now because they are going to cut you open. I was terrified enough without my mum scaring me more. I wasn’t 100% aware of what was going on I was given morphine and taken down to theatre. It was there I asked the nurse when can I have a drink and she said when you wake up. Then counting down from 10, I got to 7 and was asleep. The next thing I know is I was waking up at 3am, wanting to see my sister. I don’t remember being in much pain. I slept on and off that night, I was only 11 and mum was able to stay in hospital with me. I remember the next morning my dad and sisters and cousin came to see me, I was so happy to see them, my sister aged 9 was a little upset I didn’t get her from the disco so she didn’t get to see me before I went to theatre. She went to sit on the bed and I had to ask her to get off I was in so much pain when the bed moved. I then remember the Surgon coming over and saying there were some complications. It had been burst for a few days and the poison from the appendix was destroying my inside, but they manage to wash most of it out and they were hopeful for no complication, but that’s not how it went. I remember them coming to change the dressing and I went to sit up and look and he pushed me back down and said don’t look, you can see inside of you, where it hadn’t healed well. Then a week later I was discharged just before Christmas, I was back in I had pockets of fluid in my stomach which were causing pain and infection, from where they cleaned me out, luckily they were able to sort that out and I was home a few days before Christmas. Then the day after Boxing Day I was back in hospital, I had caught the super bug clostridium difficile, which meant back in to hospital and I couldn’t see my 3 year old sister with cancer, after a few weeks of being treated I was allowed to see her again, and it was a massive shock I cried she had no hair and looked really ill. From there I had a few days off school then back to normalish family life. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s